Twitter

Sunday 5 July 2009

Bag Making (1), Books and Competition

Books

Yesterday, I mentioned Barbra Michaels books. Today, I thought I I'd tell you what I'm reading at the moment.

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovitch about Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude.

Stephanie and Diesel, another bounty hunter who it is to be understood, is delicious to look at and taste, but not especially healthy and who has special skills when it comes to tracking men and pleasing women. Together, they are hunting Wulf Grimoire who is looking for world domination and Martin Munch who would be happy if he could just get a woman naked and tied to a tree.





The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff combines the story set in1875, of Ann Eliza Young who has recently separated from her powerful husband, Brigham Young, prophet and leader of the Mormon Church and a tale of murder involving a polygamist family in present-day Utah.

Ann Eliza Young was a real person and wrote a bestselling and controversial memoir, Wife No. 19, about her life as a Latter-day Saint and her plural marriage to Brigham Young.

I like having a choice, it's the equivelent of tucking into a KFC (Plum Spooky) or lamb in a redcurrent jus with dauphin potatoes and green beans (The 19th Wife).


Making Pink Roses Bag

I'm not sure interesting will be for you, but this is how it went yesterday - while listening to The Three Hostages by John Buchan in 2 parts I stated making PinkRoses Bag. If you want to listen to/record/download part 1, you will have to do it soon - only 1 day left before it disappears.

What I do first is think about the end size and draw that out on graph paper(2cm equals 1cm square on paper).

Then I look at the fabrics, size and placement of pattern design and that tends to decide how many and and size of pieces- you can see what I mean if you look at Cool Cats in post below - you don't want a head or a tail missing, though this can result in fabric being wasted with large patterns.


Next I determine the size of the fabric that will show and add 2cm to each edge for hemming. Once this has been done I write out the number of pieces of each fabric and size for cutting.

The cutting process involves marking out the fabric with chalk - making sure the pattern on the fabric is pointing the right way! Then I cut all the pieces out and press.

Next I chalk the stitching line ie 2cm in all the way round, making sure that the pieces on each side will match exactly when joined up.


I then select two pieces to sew, once again making sure the pattern is the right way up (who would want Cool Cats or Linen Lambs standing on their heads!), pin together then tack.

Next job - sew together along the chalked stitch line. Do the same again for all the pieces then remove tacking and press open the seams and the the good side.

Now I have two identical sides that match up perfectly - I hope, otherwise it's unpick and start again!

Bag creation continues tomorrow.


Competition

If you like hand dyed yarn I spotted a competition that closes midnight 15 July(USA time) on
Etsy.

Mama Jude says 'Help rename my sock yarn! My supplier wants me to stop using the name Texas (becasue they use it), so I'm having a contest. Convo me with your name suggestions. If I choose your entry, you will win two 4 ounce skeins of the sock yarn formerly known as Texas dyed to order. Contest ends July 15 at midnight. Entries are accepted in the order I receive your convo. No purchase necessary to win!'

These are some photos of Mama Judes lovely plant dyed yarns.









Cornwall

Before I disappear to get on with Pink Roses bag, I thought I would just let you see some photos from my April holiday in Polruan , Cornwall.

I know it sounds rather decadent - but I took this photo while lying in bed - you've got to admit its a fantastic view. Can you imagine the sound of lapping water, a warm gentle breeze coming through the open window - and a good man by your side!


Moving on .......


This is the view from the lounge, yes it's small but again what a view.








This the view from the small patio in from of the cottage. The only downside (for some) was the 60 steps down to the cottage and you had to park in the village - but that didn't bother us and it it was only £200 for the week.

Catch you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment